badge

Tuesday, March 22, 2005

Holi Haiiiiiiii!


The festival I dread the most is round the corner. It always manages to evoke and stir up unpleasant memories. I especially remember one particular year, when I was around 8, when one of my friends poured a bucketful of gulal over my head. Some of it entered my mouth, and next thing I knew I was just retching and puking everything inside of me. Even now, I shudder when I think about the whole episode. And still I know I was lucky to walk away unscathed.
Each year we read about mishaps resulting sometimes in deaths, blindness and more. However, these mishaps can well be avoided if the necessary precautions are taken.

This festival was traditionally celebrated using natural coloured extracts from seasonal herbs. However gradually, these natural herbs were replaced by synthetic dyes, most of which contain a plethora of harmful chemicals.

Did you know that these seemingly harmless, "pleasing to eye" colours could be toxic. This is because of the presence of cheap materials like mica, acids, alkalis, pieces of glass, which not only induce skin disorders like abrasion, irritation, itching, but can impair vision, cause respiratory problems and also cancer.

Click here to learn more on how to celebrate Holi in a safe way. Click here for some special Holi recipes.

P.S Do respect the wishes of those who do not wish to participate in the festivities and this year..
Have a Safe Holi!!!

16 comments :

  1. happy holi to you.....I really miss the guzia not the color for the same reason you mentioned in ur post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holi ke din dil mil jaate hai,
    rango mein
    something something...(from Sholay)

    Happy holi to you all!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yikes!!
    I knew holi could be dangerous but nevertheless never found any reason to anything but love the festival. But I hate people who involve unwilling bystanders in their celebrations (happens a lot up north, but not really much in this region)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Holi to you too :)
    As long as you play safe and dont perturb others - I like Holi. Cheers !!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. hi !

    sounds more like safe diwali ...

    anyway ... i too dont like too much of holi, esp. the way they have it in our hostels !!! so rushing back home :)

    happy holi to ya too !

    PS: my link you have added is wrong ... u have appended it with a p:// due to which it is not opening

    ReplyDelete
  6. Coreected the error KPower..:-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Havent really celebrated Holi in its truest sense until I came to the US, had a nice holi celebration at the temple here a couple of years ago.

    Have a safe and fun-filled Holi!

    ReplyDelete
  8. being from southern India i had'nt celebrated holi till I moved to a hostel. I did enjoy it for the first couple of years but well sometime 2 years back there was a lathi charge at the beach(where else can one find water in chennai!) and since then I dont really like getting all coloured.
    somehow hope to escape it this time round.
    happy holi to all who do celebrate.

    ReplyDelete
  9. happy holi.. i'll be celebrating on the banks of ganga in rishikesh this year..:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. teacherji.. u truly sound like a teacher in this post ;)
    but, u r right... festivals like holi, diwali... etc... should be celebrated with caution...
    Happy Holi..... :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Holi :)

    I din have the habit of playing Holi till I joined college. These ppl don leave you even if u sit quiet!! It ws in college first year that I walked home like an Indian supporter in saffron and green :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Its Holi-time already??! Boy, really miss my childhood days in Nagpur...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Achha to Holi aa gaya :-). Holi Hai.

    ReplyDelete
  14. And I miss the Puranpolis Tarun

    Welcome to the blog Fantababy

    LOLArjun Happy Holi to u too!

    Animesh as long as people adhere to a few rules

    Very true Bablu

    That's nice Anand Wish u the same

    That's exactly what I'm saying..i hate things to go out of hand Pisku

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for the meaningful message PG

    WoWie!! Shantanu Do tell us all about it!

    Hehehe! It's not just about being a teacher Prasad I'm just trying to make a difference..i don't want this to be just 'another blog'

    That must have been quite a scene Praveen

    Hehehehehe!Prem Happy Holi!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.